My friend Rob (from Indigo Consulting) was having issues with Mail.app and stopped by to find out what to do. Having had the same problem in the past, I looked up some handy dandy commands that will hopefully fix the problems (like crashing, slowness, etc.). If you’re having the same issue, or just curious, here’s what we did.
- Quit Mail
- In a Terminal window, navigate to ~/Library/Mail (cd ~/Library/Mail)
- Type in the following command: sqlite3 Envelope Index
- A sqlite> prompt will appear.
- At that prompt, type vacuum subjects;
- After a short delay, the prompt will return. Type Control-D to exit.
- Restart Mail and it should work!
More to come on this..