NetIQ/Microfocus provides some good information on how to customize reports for NetIQ/Microfocus IDM Reporting Module. The product ships with a set of default reports focusing on displaying different information regarding roles, resources, entitlements, their assignments etc… however, you might need to change what information and how it is displayed. This blog entry will explain how to setup iReport in order to preview any customized or new reports directly in iReport without having to import it to the reporting module and view it there.
1. Install Reporting Module – follow the documentation to install and configure Reporting module
2.Configure and deploy IDM drivers for Reporting:
- Managed System Gateway driver – collects data from connected systems
- Data Collection Service driver – collects data from Identity Vault
3. Migrate data from Identity Vault to Reporting Module/EAS database
- in iManager, migrate data through Data Collection Service driver
- migrate both Identity Vault driverset and users and groups containers
- this action will migrate data to SIEM database which Reporting module uses to query data
4. Download report definition source files from Reporting module
- all the report definition source files are in download section
- unzip them before editing them in iReport
5. Download and install iReport Designer
- iReport Designer is a free open source program to create and modify Jasper reports
- version used in this entry is 5.6.0
6. Understand how the data is stored in EAS SIEM database
- Reporting module uses views in
Configuring iReport Designer For Previewing IDM Reports
Here are the steps to configure iReport in order to be able to preview customized reports without having them first import back to the reporting module:
1. Create new Datasource for SIEM reporting database:
- follow the documentation
- this step will enable you to test your queries directly from “Report query” dialog through “Preview data” button
2. Configure Classpath settings in iReport – Tools – Options – Classpath tab:
- add reportpgk.jar file to the Classpath settings:
- this jar file provides all the necessary scriptlets in order to run and preview a report
- you can get the jar file from Identity Reporting installation directory or the latest Identity Reporting patch file
- add root directory of the unzipped report definition file to the Classpath settings
- You can either download a template report definition or report definition you are going to edit from reporting module – download section (rpz file)
- rename the rpz file to a zip file and unzip it
- this file provides necessary files for a report to be compiled and previewed directory in iReport
Now you are ready to edit and preview any new or existing IDM report definitions directly in iReport. Click on “Preview” button to see your modified report. If there are any issues with your modification, there will be error displayed in “Report Problem Window” in the lower part of iReport designer.
Once you are satisfied how your new or modified report looks like, you can follow the steps on packing and importing the report to the reporting module.
More information on how to customize IDM reports in iReport can be found in NetIQ documentation.